Saturday 21 July 2012

The Dark Knight Rises: Immediate Reaction [Spoiler Free]


After 7 years of waiting I have now seen the concluding chapter in the saga that started with Batman Begins way back in 2005 and it's literally all I've been able to talk or think about since I left the cinema yesterday. I don't want to give a full review right now for two reasons- one being that I still want to review the other Batman films first so I can review this one in context to those, and two because quite frankly it was just so damn epic. Now that's a word which I really do dislike these days as it's just thrown around so bloody casually it's practically lost all meaning (the infinite cosmos is epic, the latest Saw film is by no means epic) however there's really no better superlative to sum the film up than just that.

This is absolutely all you could ask for as the finale to the trilogy. The stakes are higher, the villains are more dangerous, and at long last Nolan seems to have managed to work some emotion into his films. On three occasions I had a lump in my throat and other people in the cinema were actually physically crying. It's an extremely dark film, and at times everything seems hopeless, but the ending just balances out the film so perfectly that the film seems incredibly rewarding especially if you do watch it as the 7.5 hour singular film I honestly think it should be looked at as being.

I really feel like I don't want to give a lot more away at this point, but I just need to spread the word that despite the few bad reviews the film has garnered, just forget about them, go see the film and decide for yourself. In my mind it is by far the best film I've seen this year and I absolutely cannot wait to go see it in IMAX in the next couple of weeks. Every single person involved in the film both in front of and behind the camera delivers in every possible aspect and it's just an absolute joy that the film has turned out the way it has.

No comments:

Post a Comment