Wednesday 11 July 2012

Review: Cosmopolis (2012, Dir. David Cronenberg)












At this point it's pretty obvious that Robert Pattinson is desperately keen to escape his Edward Cullen tween idol image and move onto mature material. I've always championed him as a decent actor with a great screen presence and I was really hoping that by attaching himself with director David Cronenberg for Cosmopolis he could finally metamorphosis to the highly regarded performer he deserves to be considered as.

I thought the trailers and clips from the film I saw prior to release looked a little ropey, but I had faith that upon watching the completed film it would be an off-kilter but challenging piece that one has come to expect from the usually reliable Cronenberg. Sadly however that isn't the case. In fact I find it very hard to say anything good about the film at all. The acting and cinematography are all well and good but as far as the actual content of the film itself goes it's nothing short of an absolute mess. I can't think of any other film that has tried to touch on so many different topics, be it socioeconomics, religion, technological reliance or in fact just about any other prominent issue the world is facing right now, and fail so pitifully to represent or shed light on any of them in any impacting or thought provoking manner WHATSOEVER. Sitting there watching it, I couldn't help but feel that everybody involved in this soulless production had thoroughly lost themselves in their own asses, and judging by the reactions of the rest of the theatre upon exiting the screen I can assure you that I wasn't alone.

I really like the thought of the Pattinson/Cronenberg team-up and I think with better material to work from it could mutually benefit both their careers. Maybe the time is right for Cronenberg to return to his body horror roots.

No comments:

Post a Comment