Thursday 5 July 2012

Review: Storage 24 (2012, Dir. Johannes Roberts)












I only heard about this film for the first time about a month before it was released just last week, but I had high hopes for it being a fairly competent bit of British sci-horror. Sadly the finished product was a really disappointing, clichéd and trope ridden mess with the word "forgettable" scrawled all over it.

I have to say I am by no means the worlds biggest Noel Clarke fan, having dismissed him back in his Mickey days on Doctor Who and having seen nothing of his work since. However after all the acclaim he's gotten for his writing, directing and acting in numerous "growing up in the London ghetto's" films since then I thought this genre film turn would be a good reintroduction to the popular star. I clearly must have picked the wrong film though as his screenplay is, as I said earlier, a bit rubbish and worst of all completely unoriginal. Fair enough, Alien is the prototypical science fiction horror that all others shall forever stand against, and its inevitable that certain elements are going to be reused and in some cases paid homage too, however this is just the exact same core concept just taking place in a storage facility as opposed to a space ship. Make up your own mind as to which is more exciting. Oh, but at least the aliens don't look like Xenomorphs! But.... they do look just like District 9's "prawns".

The real tragedy for me though was the completely eye roll inducing final scene, which I won't spoil for you, but let's just say it sets the film up for a sequel which will likely never see the light of day (except maybe direct to DVD). Between the ending, the derivative plot and the boring alien concept design it just all left me with little to do except sigh.

No comments:

Post a Comment