Tuesday 12 June 2012

Catching Up and Looking Ahead

I thought I would just do a quick post with some updates on a couple of my previous posts, as well as a little look ahead at some upcoming features and reviews I have planned for the blog.

Catching Up


The Exorcist TV show seemed to be a case of serious misunderstandings and half truths which were hyped by the media. The captainhowdy.com article here states pretty clearly that Morgan Creek do not hold the rights to the original The Exorcist story which means that the stories of it being a direct remake are thankfully false. I have no real issue with the more probable route the series will go, which seems to be continued stories about the characters from the film. Whether I would watch it or not is up in the air for now and dependant on the style, stories and calibre of acting on offer, but I'm now watching it more with a weary eye as opposed to a twitching bloodshot one.


I watched Breathless[1983] again a couple of days ago and absolutely loved it. It seemed a lot more fast paced the second time round and I've just completely fallen in love with the whole tone and over the top style of the film. Richard Gere's trousers are phenomenal and the ending is just the absolute perfect way to close the film out. I honestly cannot stop watching that final scene on Youtube. Everything from the way the completely contrasting Philip Glass score interweaves with the Jerry Lee Lewis track, to Richard Gere's obsessive and untameable Jesse Lujack whom at this point in the film is completely convincing despite the audacity of the character, and finally that pixel perfect freeze frame which suits the film so much better than the way it would have ended if it were a simple carbon copy of  À bout de souffle. I'm certain Breathless will become a film I'll watch time and time again now for years to come.

Looking Ahead


I, as well as everyone else I'm sure, am hugely excited for the upcoming final instalment in Christopher Nolan's Dark Knight Trilogy, The Dark Knight Rises which is now just around the corner. I've been a Batman fan ever since I was a very small child watching the Saturday morning Batman The Animated Series and so to prepare for the event I will be watching and reviewing all the previous live action Batman films leading up to the release of TDKR. We're now about 5 weeks away so I'll be doing 1 or 2 reviews a week as well as the usual features and miscellanea, obviously concluding in my review of The Dark Knight Rises.

No comments:

Post a Comment